What does a scorpion look like?
A scorpion is a small animal with two sharp pincers at the front of their body and a long tail with poison on the end. They also have eight legs just like a spider.
What animal class are they?
Scorpions are predatory animals of the class Arachnida, making them cousins to spiders, mites and ticks.
Where do they come from?
The word scorpion is originally found in the southwest, preferring the warm, dry climates found in Arizona, California and New Mexico
What do scorpions eat?
Scorpions eat a variety of insects, spiders, other scorpions and lizards. They also eat small mammals, such as mice. Scorpions must have water to drink, but they can survive for months without food. Scorpions use their pincers to capture and crush prey.
How long does a scorpion live for?
Scorpions’ have a short life of only 2-3 years
Is a scorpion a good pet?
Scorpions’ are quite, clean and easy to care for. However, they are not best for handling. If you’re looking for a pet which gives a lot back… scorpion may not be the best for you.
How do you look after a scorpion?
- A small to medium enclosure to be covered with 2/3 inches of either sand or mud (depending on the scorpions original habitat)
- It’s important to have flat rocks in the habitat so that the scorpion can hide under it.
- Keep a heating mat in the habitat which keeps the temperature to 22 Celsius. Keeping it this heat makes sure you don’t dry your scorpion out or freeze it.
- A scorpion needs feeding twice a week, feed the scorpion crickets. Remembering to take out uneaten crickets and dead crickets an hour after feeding.
- Never pick up your scorpion, majority of scorpions are poisoness and will hurt you! Feed the scorpions using tongs and if you need to remove scorpions from their habitat corner them with a container and put a lid on.
- Make sure your scorpion has a lid on so that they can’t escape but with small holes so that they can be oxygenated.
- Lastly when cleaning their tank remember never to use soap because it is poisons for the scorpions.
If you would like a viist to your school or birthday party by our scorpian take a look at our avalibilities – https://animal-club.co.uk/animal-school-visits/