What does a Chinchilla look like?
Considerably one of the cutest animals. They are small animals with long fluffy tails. Their mouse-like ears sit on top of their head.
What animal class are they?
Chinchillas are animals which usually means they have fur or hair.
Where do they come from?
Chinchillas would be found in parts of Bolivia, Peru, Argentina, and Chile, but today, they are mainly only found in the wild in Chile.
How long do Chinchillas live for?
Chinchillas live for around ten years meaning if you’re thinking of getting them for a pet prepared to have this companion for a while!
Is a Chinchilla a good pet?
Overall, they are good pets due to their beautiful soft, lush fur, an inquisitive, boisterous nature and no objectionable noises. One of the best qualities is that they are very low-maintenance pets. On the downside, chinchillas are somewhat high-strung, and they have relatively short attention spans. They also do not tolerate hot weather or high humidity well.
How do you look after a Chinchilla?
- Housing your pet – The minimum cage size for a pair is around 1m x 1.5m floor space, by 1.3m tall, with shelves at different heights.
- At the bottom of the cage use dust extracted bedding or shredded paper.
- Make sure you let your pet out at least once a day to have a stroll around (but be careful not to lose them!) Due to them being nocturnal, it is best taking them out early evening.
- Just like us, they need an enclosed bed to sleep in during the day. Wooden boxes are ideal, but whatever you use will eventually be chewed and need replacing (so don’t buy anything too expensive)
- Make sure the chinchilla has fresh water every day, organic hay and pellets.